Welcome to Prairie Homes online
Welcome to Prairie Homes online

Construction Process Tips & Info

CONSTRUCTION TIME for a custom home is typically 5 to 10 months depending upon the complexity of the home.

CONSTRUCTION INSPECTIONS - With a complete set of plans detailing the home as agreed and complete specifications detailing what is in the home and what is not in the home the construction of your home will be inspected by your lender at the following times, prior to funds being disbursed to the builder. Not all lenders use these same progress stages but something close to instead:

  1. Completion of foundation
  2. Lockup of home (this includes the framing, roof, windows and doors)
  3. When the drywall taping is complete (this includes the rough in of plumbing, HVaC, and electrical
  4. When the flooring, cabinets, trim, and other finish materials are complete
  5. The final inspection is made when the home is complete. You will also inspect the home at this point and will have the opportunity to point out any areas that need to be corrected. Depending on the time of the year the construction started and finished, some exterior finish such as concrete work or landscaping will not be completed at the time of possession due to weather, for these deficiencies holdbacks are held by our lawyer until you are satisfied with their completion.

These are the inspections that are performed by the city or county development department and required to pass before further construction can proceed:

  1. Completion of foundation prior to backfill (Building Inspection)
  2. Completion of plumbing groundwork's (Plumbing Inspection)
  3. Completion of plumbing rough in (Plumbing Inspection)
  4. Completion of electrical inspection (Electrical Inspection)
  5. Lockup of home prior to insulation (Building Inspection)
  6. Home completion (Final Inspection by all Departments)

In-house inspection performed by Prairie Homes Inc and made available as a final report to the home owner:

  1. Footing and foundation inspection (prior to foundation concrete pour)
  2. Foundation and waterproofing inspection (prior to backfill)
  3. Framing inspection (after lockup)
  4. Rough in trade inspection (prior to insulation)
  5. Drywall inspection (prior to paint)
  6. Flooring, cabinets, and trim inspection (prior to touch ups)
  7. Final inspection (prior to possession) report made available to home owner
  8. 6 month follow-up (6 months after possession) deficiencies noted
  9. 1 year inspection (1 year after possession) deficiencies noted and repaired
  10. 2 year follow-up



Cost per square foot is a commonly asked question of builders. It is almost impossible to give an accurate answer to this question until the plan is chosen, finishes are agreed to, the homesite has been evaluated, and detailed quotes are received from trades and vendors.

Each home is quite different and the items included or not included make a major difference in the cost per square foot. There are probably 10,000 variables that can impact square footage cost due to home design, specifications, site conditions, and much more. An example of a cost item that confuses the square foot price would be the appliance package; even though they can range in price from next to nothing to tens of thousands of dollars it is not at all affected by the square footage of the home.

Typically, as the square footage rises, the cost per square foot will decrease. This is because the same home, regardless if it is 3,000 or 4,000 SF or whatever size, built on the same lot with the same quality will have the same amount spent for landscaping, utility fees, driveway, appliancesl, garage, and many more major items. As the square footage increases those common costs are spread over more square footage which reduces the actual cost per square foot.

There are many areas in a home where footage can be added quite inexpensively. If the budget allows, this should be done since there will be a major spread between the cost of the footage and the appraised value of the footage. Your builder will be happy to point those areas out to you.

Our preferred manner of operation is to assume that all of our customers are expecting an executive style home with executive finishes included as standard. If the allowed budget is not there to meet this we will quote at your desired standard but this will be outlined in the specs. Many builders offer a low price per square foot with minimal specifications for the home assuming that the Buyer's will upgrade to their expected quality level once the home has been started. Personally, I do not like to be on either side of this type of surprise and I doubt that you would either. If there is a major difference in another builder's cost per square foot for the same home you can be sure that there is a difference in the quality, features and finishes included, or some other tangible item.


Glossery of Terms

A/C: An abbreviation for air conditioner or air conditioning.

A/C Condenser: The condenser is the outside fan unit of the Air Conditioning system. It removes the heat from the Freon gas and "turns" the gas back into a liquid and pumps the liquid back to the coil in the furnace.

A/C Disconnect: The main electrical ON-OFF switch near the A/C Condenser.

Aerator: The round screened screw-on tip of a sink spout, in most modern faucets they are built in. It mixes water and air for a smooth flow.

Allowances:  In the specifications for the construction of a home typically numerous items are called allowances.  They are typically decorator items such as cabinets, tile, wallpaper, carpet, landscaping, etc.  The Builder will base the price of the home including allowances for the items agreed to as allowance items.  Depending upon the choices the Buyer makes they will receive a credit if their choice is less than the allowance, none if the same as the allowance, or they will be charged the additional amount if their choice cost more than the allowance for that particular item.  This is an area that allows many unscrupulous Builders to offer a below market price for a home by reducing the allowances.  The Buyers receive many unpleasant surprises when Builders do this throughout the process. It is not at all unusual to find out that the Builder with the higher bid has in fact the lowest cost in the end due to this practice.  Protect yourself by doing some research on what you desire for the allowance items vs. the allowance offered.

Amortization: A payment plan by which a loan is reduced through monthly payments of principal and interest.

Annual Percentage Rate (APR): Annual cost of credit over the life of a loan, including interest, service charges, points, loan fees, mortgage insurance, and other items.

Architectural Ceilings:  Known as tray ceilings or other specially designed ceilings.  They are typically designed by the Interior Architectural Designer and not the Architect or Designer of the home.

Astragal: A molding, attached to one of a pair of swinging double doors, against which the other door strikes.

Attic access: An opening that is placed in the drywalled ceiling of a home providing access to the attic

Automated lighting control system:  A professionally installed system that controls lights in multiple rooms without use of manual switches.

Backsplashes:  Wall area between the cabinet countertop and the upper cabinets.  This area can have tile, granite, wallpaper, or painted an accent color.

Balusters: Vertical members in a railing used between a top rail and bottom rail or the stair treads. Balusters are sometimes referred to as 'pickets' or 'spindles'.

Balustrade: The rail, posts and vertical balusters along the edge of a stairway or elevated walkway are known as the Balustrade.

Banding:  Typically refers to exterior veneer of the home.  Banding is the trim installed around windows, doors, and other exterior architectural features of the home.  It can be made out of stucco, wood, or stone.

Bath Accessories:  Includes the toilet tissue holder and towel bars.

Bi-fold door: Doors that are hinged in the middle for opening in a smaller area than standard swing doors. Often used for closet doors.

Bi-pass doors: Doors that slide by each other and commonly used as closet doors.

Bottom chord: The lower or bottom horizontal member of a truss.

Breaker panel: The electrical box that distributes electric power entering the home to each branch circuit (each plug and switch) and composed of circuit breakers.

Builder's Risk Insurance: Insurance coverage on a construction project during construction, also called Course of Construction Insurance.

Building codes: Local, provincial, or federal ordinances governing the manner in which a home may be constructed or modified.

Built INS:  Can be anywhere in the home.  The Built Ins are typically designed by the Interior Architectural Designer.  They are normally built into some type of niche specially prepared for the Built in.  They are highly personalized and not inexpensive.  Normally, the built-ins are finished wood and include TV entertainment centers, Bookcases, Desk, Storage Chest, and much more.

Bull nose (drywall): Rounded drywall corners. 

Café Grille Hood:  Installed on the rear porch over the outdoor grille.  They should include a venting system to remove all smoke and odor to the outside through the roof or side wall of the home.

Cantilever: An overhang where one floor extends beyond and over a foundation wall. For example at a fireplace location or bay window cantilever.

Casement:  A window that one side of the window sash cranks out.

Casing: The casing is the wood trim molding installed around a door or window opening.

Cast Stone:  Man made material to resemble coral stone or some other type of natural stone.  Cast Stone is very expensive.  Many times the same look can be accomplished through our stucco artists at a fraction of the cost.

Cement: The gray powder that is the "glue" in concrete. Portland cement. Also, any adhesive.

Ceramic tile: A man-made or machine-made clay tile used to finish a floor or wall.

Certificate of Occupancy:  Issued by the County or City Building Department once the home has passed all of the required inspections by the County or City building department It is issued only after the local municipality has made all inspections and all monies and fees have been paid.

CFM (cubic feet per minute): A rating that expresses the amount of air a blower or fan can move. The volume of air (measured in cubic feet) that can pass through an opening in one minute.

Chair rail: Interior trim material installed about 3-4 feet up the wall, horizontally.

Circuit Breaker: A device which looks like a switch and is usually located inside the electrical breaker panel or circuit breaker box. It is designed to (1) shut of the power to portions or all of the house and (2) to limit the amount of power flowing through a circuit (measured in amperes). 110 volt household circuits require a fuse or circuit breaker with a rating of 15 or a maximum of 20 amps. 220 volt circuits may be designed for higher amperage loads e.g. a hot water heater may be designed for a 30 amp load and would therefore need a 30 amp fuse or breaker.

Circuit: The path of electrical flow from a power source through an outlet and back to ground.

Cold air return: The ductwork (and related grills) that carries room air back to the furnace for re-heating.

Combustion air: The duct work installed to bring fresh, outside air to the furnace and/or hot water heater. Normally 2 separate supplies of air are brought in: One high and One low.

Compressor: A mechanical device that pressurizes a gas in order to turn it into a liquid, thereby allowing heat to be removed or added. A compressor is the main component of conventional heat pumps and air conditioners. In an air conditioning system, the compressor normally sits outside and has a large fan (to remove heat).

Concrete: The mixture of Portland cement, sand, gravel, and water. Used to make garage and basement floors, sidewalks, patios, foundation walls, etc. It is commonly reinforced with steel rods (rebar).

Condensate line: The copper pipe that runs from the outside air conditioning condenser to the inside furnace (where the a/c coil is located).

Condensation: Beads or drops of water (and frequently frost in extremely cold weather) that accumulate on the inside of the exterior covering of a building. Use of louvers or attic ventilators will reduce moisture condensation in attics. A vapor barrier under the gypsum lath or dry wall on exposed walls will reduce condensation.

Condensing unit: The outdoor component of a cooling system. It includes a compressor and condensing coil designed to give off heat.

Conditions, Covenants, and Restrictions (CC and R's): The standards that define how a property may be used and the protections the developer makes for the benefit of all owners in a subdivision.

Construction Agreement:  The contractual agreement between the Buyers and the Builder.  This agreement spells out the rights, obligations, and duties between both parties.

Construction Specifications:  Attached to the Construction Agreement. This is a very important document.

Control joint: Tooled, straight grooves made on concrete floors to "control" where the concrete should crack

Convection: Currents created by heating air, which then rises and pulls cooler air behind it. Also see radiation.

Corbel: The triangular, decorative and supporting member that holds a mantel or horizontal shelf.

Corner bead: A strip of formed sheet metal placed on outside corners of drywall before applying drywall 'mud'. 

Cornice: Overhang of a pitched roof, usually consisting of a fascia board, a soffit and appropriate trim moldings.

Course: A row of shingles or roll roofing running the length of the roof. Parallel layers of building materials such as bricks, or siding laid up horizontally.

Dedicated circuit: An electrical circuit that serves only one appliance (ie, dishwasher) or a series of electric heaters or smoke detectors.

Disconnect: A large (generally 20 Amp) electrical ON-OFF switch.

Distributed audio system:  A professionally installed system that allows occupants to play and control audio from a central source in at least three rooms in the home  The system should include at a minimum a distribution amplifier, room controls and in-wall, on-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

Doorjamb, interior: The surrounding case into which and out of which a door closes and opens. It consists of two upright pieces, called side jambs, and a horizontal head jamb. These 3 jambs have the "door stop" installed on them.

Dormer: An opening in a sloping roof, the framing of which projects out to form a vertical wall suitable for windows or other openings.

Double Cylinder Deadbolt:  This is a deadbolt lock on a door.  Double cylinder means that a key must be used on both sides of the lock.  A single cylinder means that a key must be used on one side of the door while a lever of some other type is used to unlock the door on the opposite side.

Double glass: Window or door in which two panes of glass are used with a sealed air space between.  Also known as Insulating Glass.

Double hung:  A window that both the upper and lower window sashes move up and down.

Draw: The amount of progress billings on a contract that is currently available to a contractor under a contract with a fixed payment schedule.

Driveway approach:  Driveway area between the street and the sidewalk at the front of the property.

Drop in Sink:  Sink that is surface mounted on a counter top.  The rim of the sink is visible.  A sink that the rim is not visible is called an under mount sink.

Ducts: The heating system. Usually round or rectangular metal pipes installed for distributing warm (or cold) air from the furnace to rooms in the home.  Also a tunnel made of galvanized metal or rigid fiberglass, which carries air from the heater or ventilation opening to the rooms in a building.

Dura Rock:  Reinforced concrete sheets installed on the wall or a wood floor prior to the installation of tile.

Easement: A formal contract which allows a party to use another party's property for a specific purpose. e.g. a sewer easement might allow one party to run a sewer line through a neighbor's property.

Eaves: The horizontal exterior roof overhang.

Effective R-Value: Also known as U-Value is the total thermal transmittance taking into account all the building materials, insulation and windows and doors.

Egress: A means of exiting the home. An egress window is required in every bedroom and basement.

Electrical Rough: Work performed by the Electrical Contractor after the plumber and heating contractor are complete with their phase of work. Normally all electrical wires and outlet, switch, and fixture boxes are installed (before insulation).

Electrical Trim: Work performed by the electrical contractor when the house is nearing completion. The electrician installs all plugs, switches, light fixtures, smoke detectors, appliance "pig tails", and bath ventilation fans, wires the furnace, and "makes up" the electric house panel. The electrician does all work necessary to get the home ready for and to pass the municipal electrical final inspection

Elevation:  Drawing depicting the final look of an element such as each side of the home.

Evaporator coil: The part of a cooling system that absorbs heat from air in your home. Also see condensing unit.

Expansion joint: Fibrous material (@1/2" thick) installed in and around a concrete slab to permit it to move up and down (seasonally) along the non-moving foundation wall.

Fascia:  The flat, vertical surface immediately below the edge of a roof.  It is the surface a gutter would be attached to.  The term fascia can also be used to describe other flat vertical surfaces in a home.

Felt- Tar paper: Installed under the roof shingles. Normally 15 lb. or 30 lb.

Flashing:  Sheet metal or other material used in roof and wall construction to protect a building from water seepage.

Flatwork: Common word for concrete floors, driveways, basements, and sidewalks.

Flue:  Large pipe through which fumes escape from a gas water heater, furnace, or fireplace. Normally these flue pipes are double walled, galvanized sheet metal pipe and sometimes referred to as a "B Vent". Fireplace flue pipes are normally triple walled. In addition, nothing combustible shall be within one inch from the flue pipe.

Foam Insulation:  Foam insulation is injected into the exterior concrete block wall cavities not filled with concrete.  Foam insulation not only offers a great insulation value, but also provides excellent sound insulation.  More importantly though, it fills every cavity and void in the exterior walls eliminating places where bugs and other pest can reside and enter the home.

Footer:  The concrete reinforced supporting base or groundwork of the home.

Foundation Wall:  The concrete block walls built on top of the footer to the height of the slab.  The area inside the foundation walls is filled with compacted fill.

Framer: The carpenter contractor that installs the lumber and erects the frame, flooring system, interior walls, backing, trusses, rafters, decking, installs all beams, stairs, soffits and all work related to the wood structure of the home. The framer builds the home according to the blueprints and must comply with local building codes and regulations.

Framing:  Lumber used for the structural members of a building, such as studs, joists, and rafters.

Frieze Bands:  A plain or decorated vertical band installed below the exterior soffit and the exterior vertical veneer of the home for decorative purposes.  The band is typically thicker than the adjacent wall surface and of another texture so that the band will be prominent in appearance.  This term could also describe a band treatment inside the home just below the ceiling.

Glazing: The process of installing glass, which commonly is secured with glazier's points and glazing compound.

GPM:  This is a measurement that describes the number of gallons that can flow through a particular pipe or other item per minute.

Grade: Ground level or the elevation at any given point. Also the work of leveling dirt. Also the designated quality of a manufactured piece of wood.

Ground fault: Ground Fault Cicuit Interrupter (GFCI, GFI) - an ultra sensitive plug designed to shut off all electric current. Used in bathrooms, kitchens, exterior waterproof outlets, and "wet areas". Has a small rest button on the plug.

Ground Works: The plumbing drain and waste lines that are installed beneath the basement floor. Cast iron was once used, but black plastic pipe (ABS) is now widely used.

Ground: Refers to electricity's habit of seeking the shortest route to earth. Neutral wires carry it there in all circuits. An additional grounding wire or the sheathing of the metal-clad cable or conduit-protects against shock if the neutral leg is interrupted.

Groundwater: Water from an aquifer or subsurface water source.

Grout: A wet mixture of cement, sand and water that flows into masonry or ceramic crevices to seal the cracks between the different pieces. Mortar made of such consistency (by adding water) that it will flow into the joints and cavities of the masonry work and fill them solid.

Gypsum Board:  Gypsum is used to create drywall.  Drywall is the interior wall and ceiling surface of your home.  It comes in many different sizes and are taped and finished.

Hardware: All of the "metal" fittings that go into the home when it is near completion. For example, door knobs, towel bars, handrail brackets, closet rods, house numbers, door closers, etc. The Interior Trim Carpenter installs the "hardware".

Heat Rough: Work performed by the Heating Contractor after the stairs and interior walls are built. This includes installing all duct work and flue pipes. Sometimes, the furnace and fireplaces are installed at this stage of construction.

Heat Trim: Work done by the Heating Contractor to get the home ready for the municipal Final Heat Inspection. This includes venting the hot water heater, installing all vent grills, registers, air conditioning services, turning on the furnace, installing thermostats, venting ranges and hoods, and all other heat related work.

Hip: A roof with four sloping sides. The external angle formed by the meeting of two sloping sides of a roof.

Hip roof: A roof that rises by inclined planes from all four sides of a building.

Home automation system:  A professionally installed system that integrates the control of security, HVAC or lighting systems to enhance safety, comfort and convenience.

Home run (electrical): The electrical cable that carries power from the main circuit breaker panel to the first electrical box, plugs, or switch in the circuit.

Home theater system:  A professionally installed audio/video system designed to re-create cinema-like experiences in the home, including at least a five-speaker surround-sound system (at least installed or mounted on the wall or ceiling) and a video display measuring 40 inches or more.

Hose Bib:  Exterior garden hose outlet that are by code protected from freezing by having the valve situated on the warm side of walls.

HVAC:  The heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system for your home.

ICF: Insulated Concrete Form blocks that are used as forms for foundation concrete but remain as a permanant insulating part of the home.

Interior Architectural Detailing:  As important or possibly more so that the architectural plans for your home.  They include the plans for all of the special ceilings, niches, special trim, built ins, decorative tile details, and more for your home.  They are typically prepared by the Interior Designer and Architect.

Irrigation:  Exterior sprinkler system for the yard.

Jamb: The side and head lining of a doorway, window, or other opening. Includes studs as well as the frame and trim.

Joist hanger: A metal "U" shaped item used to support the end of a floor joist and attached with

Joist: Wooden 2 X 8's, 10's, 12's or engineered TJI's that run parallel to one another and support a floor or ceiling, and supported in turn by larger beams, girders, or bearing walls.

Keyless: A plastic or porcelain light fixture that operates by a pull string. Generally found in the basement, crawl space, and attic areas.

Knockdown:  Splatter texture applied to a surface that is then troweled to achieve a particular finish.  Normally used to describe finish on drywall interior walls and ceilings, porch and pool deck floor finishes, as well as a particular type of exterior wall stucco finish.

Laminate:  Formica or other brands surface glued to a wood substrate typically for countertops. Can also refer to laminate flooring; a manufactured wood click flooring.

Light Lift:  Typically found where chandeliers are installed in high ceiling areas.  The light lift is electrically operated and raises or lowers the light fixture for cleaning and maintenance.

Male: Any part, such as a bolt, designed to fit into another (female) part. External threads are male.

Masonry: Stone, brick, concrete, hollow-tile, concrete block, or other similar building units or materials. Normally bonded together with mortar to form a wall.

Mastic: A pasty material used as a cement (as for setting tile) or a protective coating (as for

Medallions:  Normally adhered to a wall or ceiling.  They can be plaster, stone, precast stone, etc.  They are typically decorative in nature.

Millwork: Generally all building materials made of finished wood and manufactured in millwork plants. Includes all doors, window and door frames, blinds, mantels, panel work, stairway components (balusters, rail, etc.), moldings, and interior trim. Does not include flooring, ceiling, or siding.

Miter joint: The joint of two pieces at an angle that bisects the joining angle. For example, the miter joint at the side and head casing at a door opening is made at a 45° angle.

Molding: A wood strip having an engraved, decorative surface.

Monitored security system:  A professionally installed system designed to detect intrusion or other hazard, including sensors, an alarm-sounding device and communication device that reports conditions to an alarm monitoring service.

Mortar: A mixture of cement (or lime) with sand and water used in masonry work.

Mortgagee: The lender who makes the mortgage loan.

Motor Court:  Driveway area in front of garage.

Mullion: A vertical divider in the frame between windows, doors, or other openings.

Muntins:  Are typically decorative in nature.  Muntins can be a strip of wood or metal separating and holding panes of glass in a window. Today, they are typically installed for decorative purposes only since normally one pane of glass is used for the entire window opening.  Today, they are veneered on both sides of a piece of window glass to duplicate the type of window look shown on the plans of the home.

Newel post: the large starting post to which the ends of a stair guard railing or balustrade is fastened.

Nonbearing wall: A wall supporting no load other than its own weight.

Nosing: The projecting edge of a molding or drip or the front edge of a stair tread.

OSB: Oriented Strand Board. A glue and chip pressed wood sheathing that is often used in place of

Pitch: The incline slope of a roof or the ratio of the total rise to the total width of a house, i.e., a 6-foot rise and 24-foot width is a one-fourth pitch roof. Roof slope is expressed in the inches of rise, per foot of horizontal run.

Plot plan: An overhead view plan that shows the location of the home on the lot. Includes all easements, property lines, set backs, and legal descriptions of the home. Provided by the surveyor.

Plywood: Wood sheathing made up of ply's of wood oriented 90 degrees to each other and than glued and pressed. There are varying thickness's and counts of ply's as well as different types of wood even including outdoor wood or pressure treated.

Programmable Thermostats: Allow the homeowner to program times and temperature for automatic operation, saving 30% during a typical setback period.

Rebar:  Steel reinforcing rods installed in concrete.  Objective is to hold the concrete together.

Receptacle: An electrical outlet.  A typical household will have many 120 volt receptacles for plugging in lams and appliances and 240 volt receptacles for the range, clothes dryer, air conditioners, etc.

Recessed Box Washer Connection:  Installed inside the wall in the laundry where the clothes washer will be located.  Inside this box are the hot and cold water supplies as well as the drain for the washer.

Recessed lights:  Ceiling lights installed in the ceiling of the home by the electrician.

Redline red lined prints: Blueprints that reflect changes and that are marked with red pencil.

Retaining wall: A structure that holds back a slope and prevents erosion.

Retaining Walls:  When a yard slopes more than normal a retaining wall may be required.  The retaining wall is built from concrete, block, etc.  Sometimes they are required around swimming pools. 

Returns:  The conditioned air is distributed throughout the home using a system of rigid and flexible duct, collectively referred to as ductwork. Ductwork is a circulatory system that uses supplies to feed air into a room and returns to complete the circuit back to the air handler. Adequate and properly placed returns will keep closed rooms from becoming pressurized which limit the entrance of supply air into the room.

Rough opening: The horizontal and vertical measurement of a window or door opening before drywall or siding is installed.

Roughing-in: The initial stage of a plumbing, electrical, heating, carpentry, and/or other project, when all components that won't be seen after the second finishing phase are assembled. See also Heat Rough, Plumbing Rough, and Electrical Rough.

SEER:  Universal energy rating for heat pumps.  The higher the number the better. 

Service entrance panel: Main power cabinet where electricity enters a home wiring system.

Service equipment: Main control gear at the service entrance, such as circuit breakers, switches, and fuses.

Service lateral: Underground power supply line.

Sheathing:  A layer of plywood or similar type material applied to the studs and joists of a building to strengthen it and serve as a foundation for a weatherproof exterior finish.

Single Cylinder Deadbolt:  This is a deadbolt lock on a door.  Double cylinder means that a key must be used on both sides of the lock.  A single cylinder means that a key must be used on one side of the door while a lever of some other type is used to unlock the door on the opposite side.

Single Hung:  Refers to a type of window where the bottom window sash goes up and down.  The upper sash remains fixed.

Slide Bolt:  Normally found where double doors are used.  A slide bolt is installed at the top and bottom of one of the doors to allow the doors to lock.  The door with the slide bolt remains fixed unless the slide bolts are opened.  It can then be opened or closed.

Soffit:  The underside of a structural component, such as a beam, arch, staircase, or cornice.  The term is typically used to refer to the flat horizontal area between the edge of the roof and the exterior veneer of the home.

Soil Report:  The Soil Engineer takes core samples at various locations on the home site 7-10 feet deep.  He then analyzes the samples for structural capacity of the soil.  His report details those findings and offers his suggestions on how to deal with any problem soils.

Solarium:  A solarium is a room enclosed largely with glass and affording exposure to the sun.  The term solarium as used by a Builder typically refers to the wall built surrounding this room.  The wall allows the room to remain open to the sun, but affords privacy at the same time.

Span: The clear distance that a framing member carries a load without support between structural supports. The horizontal distance from eaves to eaves.

Supplies:  The conditioned air is distributed throughout the home using a system of rigid and flexible duct, collectively referred to as ductwork. Ductwork is a circulatory system that uses supplies to feed air into a room and returns to complete the circuit back to the air handler. Adequate and properly placed returns will keep closed rooms from becoming pressurized which limit the entrance of supply air into the room.

Surface-mount:  Mounted on the surface of something as opposed to under mount which would be a recessed mounting.

Threshold:  A piece of aluminum or wood placed beneath a door; a doorsill.  It typically has vinyl or rubber weather stripping installed to not only save energy cost, but also to prevent pests from entering the home.

Tile Decos:  Describes the decorative treatments installed in tile surfaces.  Decos may be the same tile turned or sized differently.  It may also be another tile material installed for decorative purposes.

TJI: Or I-Joist is an engineered floor or roof joist/truss that is able to carry over greater spans with less potential for warping or sag than conventional dimensional lumber.

Top chord: The upper or top member of a truss.

Transom:  A window or opening installed above a door or window.

Trap: A plumbing fitting that holds water to prevent air, gas, and vermin from backing up into a fixture.

Trusses:  Engineered wood roof system.

Tubes-In-The-Wall:  Perforated tubes installed in every exterior and interior wall in the home.  The tubes all lead to an injection port on the outside of the home.  Periodically, pressurized fumigant is sent through the port into the tubes and disbursed in the wall cavities of the home.  It is an excellent method for pest control.

Tubes-Under-The-Slab:  Perforated tubes are installed under the slab under the visquene vapor barrier prior to the slab being poured.  All tubes lead to an injection port.  Pressurized termite fumigant is sent through the port into the tubes and disbursed below the slab.  It is an excellent method for pest control.

Tyvek or similar material:  Applied to the exterior wood plywood sheathing on all frame wall areas of the home.  It is a plastic type material that does an excellent job of preventing moisture entering the home through the exterior walls.

Under-layment:  Material installed between two surfaces.  An example is a pad under-layment is installed between the concrete slab and the carpet.

Under-mount:  Refers to a sink installed below a counter top making the sink and the top appear to be one piece.

Valley: The "V" shaped area of a roof where two sloping roofs meet. Water drains off the roof at the valleys.

Vapor Barrier:  Visquene installed to prevent moisture from passing between two locations.  A vapor barrier is installed on top of the foundation fill prior to pouring the slab.  This prevents condensation entering the floor of the home from the ground below.

Water Closet:  Toilet or commode.

Weeping Tile: The permable piping that surrounds your house at the base of the foundation collects any seepage.

Wood Inserts:  Wood Inserts in the specifications refers to a decorative design created out of wood installed inside some type of niche in the home.

Zoning:  Zoning the Heating or Air Conditioning System allows a home to be separated into multiple zones. Each zone has individualized control with its own thermostat.  Also:  A governmental process and specification which limits the use of a property e.g. single family use, high rise residential use, industrial use, etc. Zoning laws may limit where you can locate a structure. Also see building codes.



Your form message has been successfully sent.

You have entered the following data:

Any unanswered questions

Please correct your input in the following fields:
Error while sending the form. Please try again later.

Note: Fields marked with * are required

Print Print | Sitemap
© Prairie Homes